Saturday, September 01, 2007

Everyone loves a parade


Today was our annual Frontier Days parade. My Godmother and I were asked to hold the banner for the skate park association while others joined us with their skateboards. Mary used Herman's Sector 9 long board and I sported my old school board. Anthony (who is a middle school teacher) and his son Sebastian showed up as did Carmen the stone cutter and artist. Among teens we had a young man named Josh that doesn't like to anything more then skate he says and Chris who face is planted on t-shirts everywhere encouraging support for our local skate park. Among younger skaters we had a full gamut ranging from Gus who is 7, his brother Owen 11 both who belong to Mary. Becket was there as well as several other boys of various ages. As we were waiting to start the parade the boys were all skating around, including up and down a ramp of a local business. Another parade participant came over to ask who was in charge of the skaters and complained about them skating the ramp without helmets, but when they put on helmets she decided they can't skate there at all. Another parade participant loudly voiced her disgust with our skaters standing on the sidewalk and exclaimed a "Thank Goodness" when they weren't going to be going directly behind us. Needless to say this put Mary and myself in a very defensive mood. These people don't know who they are dealing with, not only are we skaters but we are MOMS too. And you don't mess with the mama's. At 43 I felt like a juvenile delinquent having to justify my existence and right to be where I was. We armed the kids with flyer's and candy to pass out while we two moms took the banner in hand and lead the procession of skaters. We followed the boy scouts and proceeded a big group of cloggers. If you were lined up along the parade route I'm sure you heard me shouting to the skaters to watch the horse "poop" as they were several entries in front of us. It was a very fun experience. Mary and I walked/skated, smiled and did the princess wave. The kids skated and worked the crowds with their flyer's and candy. And Carmen and Anthony expertly entertained both on the sidewalk and in the street. I'm not sure if we did anything to change the image of skating but I think it was good to have us moms and a couple of dads out there. I think what I enjoyed the most was spending time with these skater kids. I got to see them outside of the skate park and without the attitude. I saw them as kids that were just having fun and talking to me like I wasn't some alien from another world. They all had to take turns trying out my board and telling me their skate stories. Even the karate kid two entries ahead had to tell me about his board and his love of skating. He did mention he's getting board with karate and wants to skate more. I somehow think his folks won't entertain that idea though. At one point during the parade I spotted my mom, Tansy and Andrew (who just had to bring his skateboard to sit on while watching). That was fun seeing my family and many friends along the route. I can't wait till we do it again next year. Despite the negative attitudes brought on by the other participants it was a very enjoyable time for all. I hope our presence there will be an encouragement to other families and parents to get out on boards and skate with their kids or at least support them. So next time you see a skater, smile at them and encourage them, remember we're not all thugs.

4 Comments:

Blogger juliana said...

There are supposed to be ariel shots of us during the parade on line, as soon as the link is available I'll post it too:+)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Libbie said...

I can honestly say I have met more thugs dressed from the GAP then I ever have riding a board funny how ironic that is.
Wish I could have seen you guys.

1:21 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

idabet, I've even seen some of those thugs dressed in parade participant "uniforms" oh wait those were just the cranky old people that yelled at us. :+) I've seen so much talent in these kids that if more adults tried to do the tricks they do I think there would be a new respect earned from both sides.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sally HP said...

I love that they're developing a safe place for kids to have that creative outlet. My son has already expressed an interest in learning to skateboard and I'll gladly encourage it. Especially since there's such a fun place to do it close by!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home