Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Romenov Prophesy

I just finished a book entitled The Romanov Prophesy I took it as a camping book and couldn't put it down till I finished. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first purchased it. The premise described a modern day Russia voting the reinstatement of an autocracy. There was a fictional descendant of the Romanov's that was to be used as a political puppet by the so called commission setting this whole thing up. The author brings historical fact about the Royal Family, their relationship with Rasputin and their demise. He also adds some interesting fiction to make for a real thriller. There is a rumor that two of the youngest including Alexi were actually not killed but thwarted off to a hiding place and brought to America to be blend in with society. Alexi married and had a son who produced another son thus having a direct heir to the throne. The race was on then to find the heir and out smart the Mafia. Twists and turns and a couple of days later I finished it. The author ends with notes on the fact versus fiction in his novel which I appreciated. It gave me an understanding of the Royal Family that I hadn't really thought about in the past. After finishing this book I am now starting one called Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie. The history is fascinating and being orthodox I have that personal interest. Massie started this project when his own son was a hemophiliac and he sought out other families to see how they handled this affliction. He realized that the Royal Family, themselves, had the most famous hemophiliac and thus he started his book. I am enjoying being able to read some fiction that has orthodoxy touches in it. It creates a literally balanced world for me. I'm still plugging through The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment and will continue for the next 5 years as well.
I just thought I'd share my general reading pleasure of the past week.
What's on your bedstand?

7 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I love "Nicholas and Alexandra". I have a great one called "The Kitchen Boy" I'd love to loan to you.

I've seen the "Romanov Prophesy" but not read it.

11:28 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

I didn't realize it was a movie, the book was good, I can't imagine the movie being able to duplicate the feelings etc. Yeah! I'd love to read the Kitchen Boy. I haven't heard of that one.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Vara said...

a propos the "Romanov Prophecy", the bodies of what may be Tsarevich St Aleksei Nikolaevich and Grand Princess St Maria Nikolaevna were found this week in Yekaterinburg. Truth IS stranger than fiction! The bodies were found in the location indicated in the notes of Yakov Yurovsky (the fiend who murdered the Royal Martyrs).

It looks as though the saga of the Romanovs is coming to a close. This story is front-page material in Russia, and many of my friends believe that when the remains are identified positively, the royal martyrs shall be enshrined either in Yekaterinburg in the Church-on-the-Blood or at the monastery in Ganina Yama at the burial site.

May this story find a fitting end, at the last.

Vara

2:08 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

I thought it was ironic that I was reading this after the fact. I wonder how it would have affected my imagination should the bodies had not been found yet. But Glory to God they have. What was the reason for the bodies not being buried with the rest of the family? How would you say the general feeling in Russia is regarding this issue? I'm curious about whether they'd be excited/relieved, or detached. So many questions, feel free to email Papa H. if too lenghty. He'll pass it along.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Vara said...

There is a sense of cautious optimism surrounding this discovery. The Church is warning that a positive identification must be made before we acknowledge these to be the remains of the martyrs.

Nevertheless, Edvard Radzinsky, who wrote some excellent books on the Romanovs (quite worth the purchase, I say, one is entitled "The Last Tsar") points out that the bodies were found in the spot indicated in Yurovsky's papers, which lends credence to the belief that the remains buried in 1998 were the other royal martyrs.

The consensus of my friends (which I believe, as well) is that Vladimir Putin shall spare no effort or expense in the identification of the relics. If found to be real, the ceremony of reburial shall be led by President Putin and Patriarch Aleksei (VVP has the clout to insist on his presence, like it or no). Watch for Duke Michael of Kent to be there. My friends insist that VVP is laying the ground for the restoration of the monarchy, so that he can retain power indefinitely as prime minister (sly dog, he, don't mess with ex-KGB!). Duke Michael is a dead-ringer for Tsar St Nikolai Aleksandrovich, speaks fluent Russian, and is of the Romanov royal lineage through his mother. An excellent choice for a constitutional tsar!

VVP HATES Maria Vladimirovna, the main pretender to the throne as she is an opinionated and fatuous airhead. My Nicky met her some forty years ago in Spain. She was not impressive then, and I do daresay that she has NOT improved with age.

"Nicholas and Alexandra" is a bit dated. I remember reading it over thirty years ago. I would reccomend the Radzinsky book, plus there is another that I shall find out the title and send it on to you (do keep your knicks unknotted! it is in English!). Nevertheless, it is good in that it points out well the Russian attitude to suffering and illness. It is somewhat biased in that it repeats some of the shibboleths common in American academe, but on the whole, it is a good read, but be aware that some of its information has been superseded by newer and more reliable findings.

Pray for this poor sinner.

Vara

10:49 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

(whispers - no, I meant that I'd seen the book in a store). I'll get that mailed out to you in a couple of days. I believe I have your addy.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Vara said...

As promised, here are the titles of some good books on the topic. Firstly, DO search out Edvard Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar". It is the best recent treatment of the topic, hands down. You shall find "Alexandra: The Last Tsarina" by Carolly Erickson a good read.

In additon, "Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia" by Orlando Figes shall give you a good background to fully comprehend what you have read.

Holy New Royal Martyrs of Russia pray for us sinners!

Vara

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home