Thursday, August 30, 2007

That's just peachy


4-5 years ago Herman, the kids and I made a quick stop at St. Herman's and St. Xenia's while traveling home from vacation. It was the kids and my first visit. As we were leaving St. Herman one of the fathers gave us 4 peaches to eat on the way home. They have two peach trees that were full of fruit. We ate them and saved the pits. Once home I tried and planted the pits. I started with 4 pots and 4 pits. Finally about 6 months later and no growth yet, I decided to just plant them outside. I watered them with Holy Water and would pour ashes from our censor on top of the sprouts. The following Spring I had two peach tree sprouts come up and two never surfaced. Each year I watch as they grow by at least a foot. I love these St. Herman peach trees. This past spring was the first time we had blossoms on them and I was elated, knowing fruit would soon follow. Sure enough last week I went out and was able to pick the first peach that was semi ripe. I smiled the whole time while I ate it under the trees. I couldn't help but feel something special about these peaches. I even almost hate to throw away the pits now. Tonight I went out for what is probably the last harvesting of peaches. There are maybe 3 left on the tree. I gathered a whole basket and used my shirt as an apron to carry the rest. My arms are itching like crazy now from the fuzz, which isn't so fuzzy when you are rubbing your arms against them. But what a wonderful blessing this was. 5 years of waiting, nurturing, caring for and protecting from bugs to see fruit. I think there is a spiritual lesson here somewhere. I should have the same patience and attentiveness with my spiritual life as I do with the trees. Maybe I should try some bug spray and Holy water on my feet too. Herman is heading down to St. Herman's this weekend and I thought of sending some peaches with him for the fathers. Then I chuckled to myself, remembering that they were the ones that gave me the fruit in the first place. So I'll pass them along to friends from church and let them enjoy them as much as I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

That's so awesome that they grew!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home