Saturday, August 18, 2007

Yard Sales Coming to a Close

Today was the first Saturday in many months that both my dad and hubby are unavailable. This allowed my mom and me to go to yard sales. There is something depressing, though, about yard sales at the end of summer. Items for sale seem to be truly worthless and the people running them are just plain tired. All we kept looking for was a small toy airplane and not one was to be found today. We found a small play sink instead. Tansy found a very cool hand made chess set, I found a set of plastic dinner plates and Becket found an expansion pack to a game that come to find out, he doesn't have. There must be a desperation in the planning of late summer yard sales, because prices were really high. Maybe this is their last ditch effort to pay the mortgage with 1.00 tank tops and 2.00 paper back books. At the beginning of Summer we are all excited to be out and about and always find the perfect treasures, the trunk being filled to the brim with unnecessary bounty. But this time of year we trudge from sale to sale only to get out, take a quick look, get back in the car and drive to the next one. We did end the day with fries from McD's though which brought some consolation. The attitude of late Summer sales reminds me that Summer is truly coming to an end. Halloween decor is already in stores, school supply lists are waiting on the counter and there is not a new swimming suit to be found anywhere in town. But I too am considering doing a last sale of the Summer as well. I don't have much either and will probably price a bit high to help pay the private school tuition and I'll probably complain about those that come to my sale not spending enough money or not spending any money at all. And they'll probably leave my sale thinking what a tired looking person I was and how I didn't have any treasures to sell Maybe they'll take pity on me after all and spend their quarter here. That yard sale karma can really bite ya in the butt some times. I need to remember that next time I'm doing a "drive-by" seeing if there is anything worth getting out of the car for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home