Thursday, August 23, 2007

Just what is bugging Papa Herman


Ok, so this is NOT the bug I'm referring to, but it's the closest picture I can find. We have been fighting little bugs in our birch trees for five years now. We have done everything from systemics, topical treatments, natural treatments to no avail. Every year they come back. We call them "hair bugs" due to the issue of them getting in our hair as we walk under the trees. When they are squashed they let out a foul odor that I can only describe as bad smelling soap. Papa H even went as far as to catch a handful of these critters to take to a dinner we were invited to, the host was an entomologist. He took one look at the bugs and agreed with us, "they're bugs all right". He gave us a few suggestions that we have since implemented. But still they thrive. Several nights in a row Papa H and I would circle around the tree killing each bug we saw by hand, well, not by hand but by "bug killer" tool, till Andrew dropped my bug killer down a hole. We would make several circles of the tree finding more and more. The more we killed the faster they became. Possibly they were sending out signals right before meeting their demise. Papa H has been out there with a squirt bottle of soap and I think he's even tried bleach and vinegar-again they thrive. The latest image I have to share this evening is Papa H. standing under the long branches of our birch tree with a shop vac in one arm and literally vacuuming the leaves with the other. He says he caught quite a few. He's taken this war to a whole new level. I have no idea what plan of attack the bugs will take next or Herman for that fact. But it is certainly amusing at times. I'll know to start worrying when I see charges being made at the army surplus, oh wait! I'm not kidding, I just heard a noise outside only to look out and see him at it again. Big shop vac in one arm and the hose in the other hand reaching up to the branches trying to suck up as many bugs as he can. Now who exactly is bugging who?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oh yuck, not fun to deal with.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home