Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My cup it runneth over and spills everywhere

Lately I have been struggling with a little discontentment, depression and just foul moodiness. I think Herman has as well. I continue to do my rule of prayer, read the Gospels, read about Saints lives etc. But I still have been feeling empty. At church this past Sunday we celebrated the Transfiguration (Old Calendar) and the homily that Fr. Daniel gave hit the heart right where it was needed. He basically talked about how we all have a home, and we know the address but seldom do we stay there. We are out running errands and such (figuratively speaking), we need to return home and stay there. He prefaced it with saying how much he's been hearing about despondency in people lately. Hmm, had he peeked into my heart? I left church feeling very uplifted and prepared to endure the rest of the fast. We then headed to Golden Dale Monastery to drop off Tansy for what I call "nun camp". We were there only for a couple of hours, but it was so transforming for me. The drive up was absolutely beautiful, clear crisp blue skies, cooler weather and just plain enjoyable. I saw Gods touch everywhere. At the monastery I felt like a little kid again, running around seeing the goats and dogs, chatting with the nuns and other campers. I soaked up as much Grace as I could while there. God is so merciful, allowing me to take home a weeks worth of Grace for just a two hour stay. On the way home I was still floating, doing the Jesus Prayer, singing classic rock tunes and again, just enjoying the drive. Herman, Andrew and I stopped at Red Robin for some dinner as a treat and continued the rest of the way home. I noticed my gas tank was nearing empty so I thought I'd better put some in before we had to walk home. I stopped about 20 min. from our home and used the pay at the pump feature. The pump took forever to clear and finally after about 10 min. I was ready to make the last few moments home. As I am starting to drive out on the highway I see in my rear view mirror the gas station guy running after me. I stopped rolled down my window and asked if my card didn't take, he said I have to pay inside. Well, I got hot under the collar and started talking back to him, "Well why do you have pay at the pump if I can't pay at the pump" among other comments. He kept apologizing and I couldn't stop making my jabs at him. I got back in the car and realized I just spilled my Grace all over the gas station floor. I immediately sought forgiveness in my heart and returned to the Jesus Prayer. How quickly do we become a a part of the world after retreating from it if only for a few moments. This poor guy did absolutely nothing wrong and how worse would it have been for me if I continued driving off without realizing I hadn't paid. Yikes! Now as I write, I see it was a good reminder that the enemy sneaks up on us when we don't realize it and sucker punches us. And my natural response to being sucker punched is to punch right back. Since Sunday I have gotten irritated a few times but am still working at keeping what Grace I have left. The good news is though I get to go back on Thursday to pick up Tansy and will get another dose, I think I'll take my "travel mug" so I don't spill it all at once this time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

How quickly indeed! Lord have Mercy!

And, happy Afterfeast!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Vara said...

I'll share the following from Natalia Sukhinina (a contemporary Orthodox writer).

"On several occasions, I subjected myself to the following experiment. I would time myself, and say, as of now, I shall try not to censure anyone for 30 minutes!

Well, I could manage no more than seven minutes. After that, if not my tongue, then my thoughts would begin to formulate something contemptible. I would be forced to curtail the experiment, agahst at the deplorable sinfulness of my corroded heart. We read in Orthodox literature about the peace in the hearts of the Holy Fathers, the Recluses, and the Elders who lived in Solitude. We do not have this peace in our hearts. As to why... In inhaling the noxious air of sin, clouding our daily existence, we poison our flesh and blood, and sow discord in our souls. Where there is discord, there can be no peace..."

All said MUCH better than this poor sinner ever could!

Pray for me, the sinner.

Vara

2:25 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

Vara, thank you for sharing that. It encourages me that I'm not the only one out there spilling my sinfulness. Where is that quote of hers. I'd like to check out more of her writing.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home