Sunday, August 12, 2007

Time for an update

Has it really been since March that I last blogged? So much has happened since then. My sister in law, Diane, passed away this year from diabetes complications. Our family rushed to her bedside in Seattle and were with her as they took her off life support. It was a bitter sweet time for all of us. She is no longer suffering, but I feel a void in the universe now. I still expect to pick up the phone and hear her voice and the tokens the kids have from her through the years are very precious now to all of us.

My in-laws came for a visit this summer. It was the first time they have been up here since their daughter died. It was a good visit and as always ended too soon.

My 43 birthday involved a party that started at the local skate park, ages ranging from babies to my 68 year old Dad. And the party ended at my house with 50 plus people having a weenie roast. My best friend from second grade showed up as a surprise and made the whole day for me. It's been about 15 years since I've seen her last.

Last week, my Mom and I took my three kids to Upstate New York to stay a week with my sister and her family at their "cabin". This cabin is bigger and nicer then my everyday home. The kids had a grand time and my mom and I hit the outlet mall at least 3 times while there. I became very adept at driving NY style and Andrew (3) has decided he's going to be a pilot when he grows up. I did have the opportunity to do a little skating while there. My sister headed my nephew, son and me to a local hill that she thought would be great for skating. She obviously
does not and never has skated before. This hill brought tears to this 43 year old mom, or maybe it was the wind wiping me so hard in the face my eyes watered. Needless to say I bailed off my board half way down and my 9 year old, bless his heart, rode the concrete wave all the way down. Once he bailed all I could see were his feet going a million miles a minute much like cartoon characters run. Once his body caught up with his feet he was filled with pride, but later confessed how scared he really was. At least I'm still cool in my nephews eyes for even trying it.

Well now I'm getting too tired to continue my post. It's late and the kids are still running a muck. Hopefully I won't wait as long to take a moment to sit down to chat.

Oh before I forget, my dreads are still in and are still looking a bit messy-ok a lot messy. But I'm keeping the faith and continuing to wax and roll.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Matthew said...

roflol

6:56 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

It's good to see you! Glad your travels went well, and your inlaw visit too!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

So excited to see a post from you! keep skating!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Spoke said...

Hey...PJ wants dreads. She's 41 an I think she hasn't the guts!
Email me a pic. Herman has my info!!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

Hey there,
I had the pleasure of meeting you at the St. John's women's retreat last year. I just now discovered your blog via Sara at bluecanopy.
You are an inspiration... I love that you have taken up skateboarding and that you have dreadlocks. And that you are striving to be a great mom and raise your children in the Truth.
I've always wanted to skateboard... I'm only 24. I thought I had missed my chance, but I'm starting to reconsider... :)
Thanks for the inspiration!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home