Saturday, April 29, 2006

Things that make me smile

Laying in my hammock in filtered sunlight. Underneath the blooming lilac tree. A sweet yet spicy scent fills the air as I sip my ice tea. My book I'm reading sits on the make shift side table ready for me to open should I choose.

Standing at the sink washing dishes while a 2 year old runs up and grabs my legs to hug me and truly hugs me as tight as his little arms will allow. It's a hug filled with love, not a petition for something greater. Hearing him sing his bunny to sleep while he rocks him. His sweet little voice saying "Nighty night" as I am stepping out of his room quietly.

Sitting outside waiting for Herman to come home from work. Him going in to change his clothes and coming back outside to sit with me. Early in the mornings when he is heading off to work, he quietly whispers good by and "I love you", I barely open my ears to see him exiting our bedroom wearing his uniform-shirt tucked in just like I like it.

Becket (8) looking vulnerable with his wacky hair that needs cutting, his skinny little body and his dry sense of humor.

Tansy nurturing her littlest brother and holding my hand when I'm feeling bad. Her cleaning the livingroom as a surprise for me just because and buying a t-shirt that says, "Mommy's girl" and being proud to wear it.

Climbing into my big bed during day light savings and the sun is still up. My window being open with curtains pulled back all night. Hearing the frogs singing in the evening and in the middle of the night being awakened by an owl.

The sun streaming in the livingroom windows first thing in the morning, helping to fend off the grogginess of waking up.

Getting a six pack of "hard lemonade" and a large bottle of ibuprophen for Mothers Day.

3 Comments:

Blogger LJB said...

Hey pal; This caught me in the middle of having a major melt down and it did me a world of good to STOP the madness and reflect on the things that DO bring me joy.
Tears are still flowing, but thanks for the reminder that I have much to be grateful for.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I love hard lemonade - what a GREAT Mother's Day present.

11:28 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

You know, Hard Cider is just as good in the fall too:+) not sure what I'm getting this year though, HErman is pretty mysterious. Becket asked me if I liked Reeses though, I asked him if that was what he was getting me, he smiled sheepishly. Looks like I'm getting some chocolate.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home