Friday, November 25, 2005

Oh no! I forgot the tradition!

What a wonderful Thanksgiving day and night we had. I hosted it at my house with just my parents in attendance. Each dish was especially good and the day was spent with watching old movies, new movies, walking in the dark looking at lights and just relaxing. We sat down to dinner and were just getting ready to eat when Herman looks at me and whispers "don't we have any bread?" I at first was about to smack him for being so selfish when there were so many other wonderful dishes. "He wants bread too? The nerve of him to ask" Then I realized I had been planning a wonderful new tradition this year. We were to write what we were thankful for and bake them into crescent rolls. Then at dinner we would break them open, read them and guess who wrote them. I bragged about this to everyone and the kids were so excited. I even planned my thankfulness thought out. Then it came to me, the papers that were never written on, had NOT been baked in the two packages of crescent rolls that were still sitting in the fridge. I can't believe I forgot to do this! Becket then says, "What does Thanksgiving mean anyway?" I, weary from cooking and thinking, said, "I really don't want to go into it right now" Herman then says, "Well, that's a homeschooling question ." Which was followed with, "And you are the homeschooling mom"-from Tansy. Needless to say, not only did I forget to make everyone else be thankful, I forgot to be thankful myself and apparently forgot to teach my child what the meaning of Thanksgiving is. I had him watch the Snoopy Thanksgiving special instead. Hopefully he gleaned something from that, if nothing else he learned that your pet dog will serve you only popcorn and toast and save the turkey for him and the bird to eat when you are gone. (Big sigh) Was that wrong? (rhetorical question obviously)
"Thanks" for listening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bluecanopy said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does things lke that. And from what I gather, I'm sure your son has plenty examples of thankfulness in the rest of his life ;) Glad I found your blog!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Bwahahahahaaaha! Love the comment "so I had him watch Snoopy to find out"

We forgot to put out the cranberry sauce, and it's my favorite part. So, midway through, I made my oldest do it, and he cut himself on the lid...typical stuff, you know!

Glad you had a great time and prayers with your family!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Fr. Matthew said...

Hey where are you at? I need some dteak and Pizza...LOL

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home