Wednesday, January 04, 2006

And the madness continues

Well I finally finished the book. hmmmm, well I didn't leave it with an excited view of the world and how NOW everything will fall into place. I came away with sort of a sadness for the author who herself feels this pressure now and doesn't see a way out. One chapter was called "Wonderful husbands", it started out with women all saying how wonderful their husbands were, then got down to the nitty gritty about how lacking they really are on the home front. Ok, well Herman is a wonderful husband also. But he is also human and I don't expect him to be able to run this household if I were gone any more than I would expect myself to be able to go to the prison and do his job. Not without the training first. Why do we moms choose to do it ourselves? Because it's easier. How many times have I wanted to just fold the towels myself because when Becket does it they look like a rolling mess on the shelves. Just last night after coming home from a therapy session (another story) the table was set. My first statement was, "Did Tansy set the table?, cuz she really did a crappy job" Turned out Herman set the table. Oops. I explained that Tansy has been learning how to set the table the right way. And I really appreciated his helping, but it might be a good thing if he learned to set it correctly also so we can both teach the children how to do it. Whew, I think it was a good save. That is our nature, to do it all ourselves because it won't get done the way WE want it to. This is one area that lessening the pressure on our family may come in.
Ok, another subject I am milling around. How can I possibly raise my children the way WE want to, and still raise them to be able to fit into any part of society when they are grown? If I am not pushing my children to take on 4 classes of dance, karate, or baseball, and if I'm not forcing Becket to read for a full hour a day and if I'm not playing classical music for Andrew will I doom them for a life of under achieving? Herman and I were talking about this and his reply (which I found very profound) was that we need to raise our children to be parents. Whether they choose to be a CEO of a company or an Abbot or Abbess, whether they are teachers, or lawyers, or artists they will all need the skills of being a parent. A parent has to delegate, challenge, encourage, submit, give in, rally, teach, provide, allow and prepare just as much as any of these other careers would call for. A mom has to know her math to get around in the kitchen as would a chef or dietician. A dad needs to be able to fairly impose consequences when a situation calls for it, much as a supervisor would need to. So now I'm thinking that I can still raise my children in a loving, fun, carefree yet stimulating atmosphere by using a secret weapon that God has given me. It's called: Common Sense.
One last warning though, it's a rough road going from "going with the flow" of society to swimming up stream, without placing a judgement on those that have yet to "turn around"

6 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

You know, I struggle with that a lot - I have a 14 year old son who isn't that motivated to do a lot. I'm ok with that, as he reads, keeps himself clean and out of trouble.

But I feel guilty when I read about my friend's children who are in soccer, get perfect grades, act, and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't know, Juliana, I think that the reality is that we live in a fallen world where guilt and sin are everywhere.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

"I think that the reality is that we live in a fallen world where guilt and sin are everywhere."

Yes, as long as I'm with you, this is the unfortunate truth. Sorry. ;-)

Common sense is an extremely uncommon thing. All this business of scrambling frantically from one activity to the next is mostly one-upmanship on both the "good-parent" front and from a financial point of view. Boredom for kids is highly underrated, but it's what motivates them to get creative.

I wouldn't worry at all about your children fitting in. Well-loved people who've been exposed to lots of different ideas and the opportunities to explore their own interests are self-confident and find their way easily. It's the ones who've been herded from one "good thing" to the next without the opportunity to explore and ponder that don't know what to do with themselves as adults unless they've got someone scheduling them.

Of course, I'm a pretty biased unschooler! ;-) But even historically, people have been extremely adaptable, and the overwhelming majority didn't participate in 5 after-school activities.

Thanks for stopping in and introducing yourself! Nice to meet you.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Fr. Matthew said...

I have been giving this a lot of thought with recent events. Perhaps, it is not how we want to raise our children but how God wants them raised. Thus, if we struggle to instill on them the cycle of the church with reference and gratitude, we give them the greatest gift possible. Mrs. H and I were discussing how to cope with Nativity and Christmas. She was concerned about little H keeping the correct mindset for Nativity. David pointed out that if you are excited about an event your children will become excited about them as well. If you fast and have the proper attitude for it they will pick this up. How many times have we said in are youth that we would never be like our parents only to find out later in life how fare are statements were from the truth. To be socially accepted is not to thrown out, but which part of the society do we want our children to be accepted by? There are many facets in our society, many of them to be avoided as we all know.

I remember a conversation a few friends and parents were having the other day. It seems that parents want their children to have their interest and have the opportunities the never have. Your children are loved and communicate their feelings to their parents and when needed their priest. This is priceless when approaching the teen years when children become “crazy.” As the Abbes of a local monastery told another friend of mine, “you should talk to God more about your kids then your kids about God.”

11:54 AM  
Blogger Susan Sophia said...

Another great post!

I don't think it's about making sure our children have more...seems that "more" in the past several decades has proven to create nothing but a race, a contest.

I think if I can somehow teach my children to love and to have compassion on all those they meet than I have succeeded in raising someone who will live as Christ commands,
John 13:34-35 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

If we raise them the way we want to raise them, as you put it, and spare them the chaos of all the extra activities, and all the extra toys; but give them LOVE AND COMPASSION then they will fit in.

Matthew...thank you for the quote from the Abbess...beautiful!!!!!

12:58 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

Wow! Maybe WE should be writing a book :+) All your comments are so encouraging! I have struggled with the idea of putting Becket into public school or hiring a full time tutor because he fights me soooo much, but I have realized that it's been my HIGH expectations he has been fighting, not me. What kid WANTS to do school work? Heck, I don't even want to hassle getting dressed most days, but I do it. I still love HErman suggesting raising our children as parents. It's even got me thinking differently about Tansy's bossiness with siblings and peers, hmmm a parent in the making? Matthew, we also have struggled with Nativity, and I have been pretty non chalant about it coming. But Tansy with excitement today said, tomorrow is Nativity! Can I get a new dress for it? Hmm, seems she caught the excitment of the feast day before I did.
P.S. Mrs. Maison, Tansy and Becket made cranberry bread last night with a friend and can't wait to try it. I told my hubby about your "drop in friend" I don't know if I could remain as gracious as you did, koodos to you:+)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Wonderful post (again). It reminds me that "only one thing is needful" (although, I admit to not being able to put that into practice with my own child). Thanks!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home