Thursday, November 10, 2005

Alternative to Harry Potter

When Harry Potter first came out I really tried to join the bandwagon. My sister bought me the first in the series and I looked forward to reading it. I expected some good wholesome literary fun. I was very disappointed. I got through 3 quarters of the book and finally had to put it down for good. From a purely literary stance I really thought the writing was weak, slow and unimpressive. It seemed this character stayed in one scene for chapters and chapters. I really tried, I did. And the one thing that was drawing me to it was the occult side, the "harmless" dark side. As a kid I loved everything about witches and magic. I wanted to make spells and potions. As I got older I still had the interest and dabbled, lightly, in white magic. So I really thought the Harry Potter series would appeal to me. I have other reasons now for not liking the Harry Potter movement. I'm told her writing has improved but I'm not willing to test those waters again. I now have 3 children and see in my middle boy an interest in anything action packed, violent, and dark. He writes stories that always has someone loosing their life. He also has a secret longing to experience the Harry Potter scene. But I can't, as a parent, introduce him to this potentially engaging aspect of the spiritual realm. I had to ask myself what else about Harry Potter bothered me. It is the fact that little boys and girls everywhere can now pretend to be wizards, warlocks and witches. They can playfully cast spells on each other and unlock a door to an unknown world. A world that seems harmless but can lead to path filled with confusion. I think the reason it's such a hit is that it is something tangible for people to grab onto. They want to instantly stop their pain or instantly bring forth goodness and riches. I thought casting spells would bring me the boy of my dreams, and I thought that using potions would protect me from evil and bad things. I may have been only playing but deep inside there was that hope that it would really work. I think all kids start out playing innocently enough then something inside of them starts to wish it was real for them. I'm not against good versus evil at all, I'm against using the occult for amusing my children.
I have, however found an alternative to the magical world for my children to ponder. I recently read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I originally got this book for my daughter to read while on vacation and recently picked it up myself and wasn't able to put it down till I finished it. My daughters book mark quickly was catching up with mine as she saw me getting excited as I read. The book ended up having a third book mark-my 7 year old boys who is just starting to read. I found the writing to not be insulting to the reader. It was thoughtful and stretched ones vocabulary. It wasn't predictable and left you almost skipping lines to get to the next page. I don't like fantasy but this was a world that was almost believable and that made it fun.
Here is a summary:
A father has the power to pull characters out of books when he reads aloud. He doesn't try to, it just happens. He was reading a book called Inkheart and ended up reading out a whole slew of bad characters that don't want to go back to their own world. So they make a world for themselves here. The fathers daughter ends up having the gift as well, and she is captured by the leader to read aloud to bring out a very nasty character to do some dirty work. Her mother had accidently been read back into the book 9 years earlier and became a prisoner of the leader. The author of the book is sought out to change the characteristics of the bad one that is being read out and in the end the village comes alive with trolls, fairies and little glass men. It's a great ending. It has snippets at the beginning of each chapter of other works of fiction. You'll meet Peter Pan and Tom Sawyer and others.
The only "magic" a child is going to emulate from this book is reading aloud and that's imaginative play I like to encourage. The book is about 500 pages long and it's the first of a trilogy. So basically this book has good guys, bad guys, street performers, fairies, trolls, suspense, tragedy and tastefully done literary magic.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Matthew said...

The Earth Sea Cycle by LaGuin is really good. Of course you could go to the LOTR also.

Matthew

10:58 AM  
Blogger Susan Sophia said...

Kelsey Anna (9 on the 26th) has been read LOTR through The Two Towers. I only mention that because of Matthew's comment. She LOVES it!

I just put Inkheart and Inkspell on hold at the library. They look great!

Kelsey Anna is an avid reader and has just finished a series called Warriors by Erin Hunter, there are 6 books in that series and she finished one book in about 3-4 days. She couldn't put them down. It's about cat clans. There is a second series she's written about the same group of cats but it's so new and popular she's number 56! on the holds list. So when I told her about Inkspell she was hesitant saying, "I just don't want to give up Warriors." LOL

I look forward to having Inkspell come in.

I've never gotten into Harry Potter either, of course I've never tried. Not interested.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Welcome to Blogging, Julianna!

I just finished The Thief Lord by Funke, as my youngest didn't like it, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was good too. I'd like to pick up Inkheart now too, great suggestion.

Although, we have all read the Harry Potter books, too. However, I completely understand where you are coming from too.

11:53 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

After reading Inksheart I'm having a hard time getting into The Thief Lord because it's such a different story, but I won't give up. Tansy reminded me of The Never Ending Story also, I think I may check that one out.
Regarding HP-I know lots of people that really like the HP series and very few that don't. I think I'm in the minority.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Rockin' Hejabi said...

Hi Juliana and friends,
I agree with your stance about this occult stuff. A good friend of mine is really into HP, and I tried to explain to her that the occult stuff is really not something we should spiritually allow into our heads. She couldn't understand how I can let my son listen to me read( he's only just turned 6)Fantasy stuff but not occult. Thanks for your clear explanation of this!
I feel just as you do, that the spells and potions and so forth can really set a bad precedent for our little kids' egos. God is the most powerful, not mankind. Satan really loves to trick us into thinking we have power over our lives. In my religion, we think about this issue a lot. It's acutally considered a big sin in islam to "ascribe divinity to anything other than God", or to "make partners with God", ie hold anyone or anything as equally powerful/important in your life as God. There are at least 99 qualities of God that have been defined in islam; here are some of my favorite qualities of God; The beneficent, most merciful, most kind, the Sovereign Lord, the mighty,the provider, the all-knowing,the judge, the great one, the aware, the most great, the wise, the most strong,the one, the able, the expediter, the delayer,the source of all goodness, the lord of majesty and bounty, etc; and it's a sin in islam to think a person or people are equal or surpass God with these qualities.

That kind of thinking can really lead "to the Dark side"....

I want to teach my kids what is consistent with my faith, that all wishes are really prayers, and that God is the one who grants them/answers them.

We just finished reading the Wizard of Oz series. There are actually 3 books in ths series, and we found it to be dynamite! I even enjoyed hearing what happens after Dorothy returns to Kansas,etc.

Now we have just fininshed the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and are on the second book of the Chronicles of Narnia (written by CS Lewis, who btw was a fabulous Christian author).

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home