Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Dog Days of Summer

The "dog days of summer" has always meant the hot lazy days of August. Well for our clan, it means that we now have a dog and it's Summer. Our new dog, Asher, came to us on the 4th of July. Actually I met him on the 4th but he came to live with us on the 6th. Now, I have not wanted a dog for the 18+ years I have been married, but as Herman said last night, "You haven't wanted a dog all these years, but you wanted Asher" I liked that sentiment. Asher, which means "the laughing one", is a young great dane/coon hound mix. He has fit into our family beautifully. The first night he slept through the night on HIS bed, not ours. He seems to have had a tiny bit of training, or at least is well mannered. And the best part is, he is pooping in one spot and Tansy is volunteering to continually clean up after him. After a childhood of living with Multiple dogs and being the sibling assigned to pooper scooper duty-it is quite refreshing to enjoy the front end of a dog for a change. Daily we are learning his personality as we have no history on him what so ever. Turns out he is protective....Tansy was being chased by "Pirate" Becket this morning and Asher came to her rescue. He tugged at Beckets pirate duds and hung on as if to keep him away from Tansy. I finally had to bring him inside so they could play out the pirate scene without heckling from the "audience". I'm using the training philosophy adopted by the Monks of New Skete. http://www.newsketemonks.com/dogs.htm
I've enjoyed reading their books and watching their video. They integrate the dogs into their lives without making them into pseudo humans. Since I'm doing the training, I am the one becoming the Alpha dog in my "pack". It's kind of fun and I'm planning on trying this alpha wolf idea on the kids, maybe they'll lay down on their backs in submission too. "I said, clean your rooms....grrrrr" I'm sure Herman will rap me on the nose with a newspaper if I get out of hand. I was raised with dogs, cats, birds, mice, hamsters, ducks etc. So I've been anti-pets as an adult. I have dreaded the opening of gifts the kids receive knowing there will be a frog pond in one, or a fish tank in another. Herman and I had a chicken in our basement for 5 years as a pet, and I had two desert tortoises I raised from hatchlings for several years as well. I've had my share of dealing with pets and their messes. The chicken now lives on a farm and the tortoises reside with a local vet. Our cat, Moses, is aloof and we do have one mutant tadpole that refuses to turn into a frog. I guess it's no wonder I've never really bonded with any of these pets. You can't hug a turtle or play fetch with a chicken. And a tadpole, well do I really need to address him? Asher is a whole different experience for me. He doesn't bite me when I pet him or swipe me with his claws as I walk by. He doesn't smell like dirty pond water or stick his head into his shell each time I walk by. He acts like....well.....a dog. He seems to like me, and appreciates a treat or two. He likes to sit and just be silent and with 3 children, silence is a welcomed change. He makes me laugh and I just like having him around. Well now it is time to head outside to do some more leash training. Stay tuned for further adventures with Asher.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Congratulations!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Susan Sophia said...

Asher sounds beautiful! I love great danes! I just saw purebred ones for sale recently and was sooo tempted. I couldn't justify the $500 price tag.

It's good to hear from you again with your last 2 posts.

Love,
Sophia

2:25 PM  
Blogger LJB said...

Of COURSE Asher likes you. You are a very likeable person. Happy dogging.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home