Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mothers Day to Me

Herman asked me a few weeks ago what I wanted for Mothers Day. I replied "Nothing really". I don't think he believed me though because since then there have been secret trips to the store, code talking between children, leading questions from Becket and an announement of a poem to be read. I think back over the last 10 years of being a mom. I have really blown it at times, and have been truly ashamed of my mothering "techniques". I'm pretty sure I won't ever earn the Mother of the Year award and I'm anticipating a bit of blame when my children are grown and are going through therapy. But there is one sure thing that never changed and will never change. The fact is I am a mom. Whether I like it or not, whether the kids like it or not-I am a mom. I am the mom that they turn to when they are embarrased or hurt. I am the mom they run to when their feelings are hurt. I am the mom that makes them mac and cheese when they are craving it and allow them to have some candy in the morning. I am the mom that gets up nightly to re-arrange covers and replace a pacifier in the mouth of a grumpy baby. I am the mom that makes sure everything is fair at least for my children. I am the mom that stands up for them when everyone else is annoyed . I am the mom that has been cut open three times to give life to them. I am the mom that listens to every detail of toys and adventures I truly don't care about. I am the mom that buys them a Happy Meal when they are sick at home. I am so far from ever being perfect, but I am the Mom. I am the mom they say, "I love you sooo much" to. I am the mom they make homemade cards and gifts for. I am the mom they beg to play games with. I am the mom they want to cuddle with. I am the mom that gets to hear, "You are the perfect mom for me, I wouldn't want any other mom" I am the mom.
Though I may suck at times, I am the mom they are stuck with. I am not just the mom, I am the luckiest mom in the world.
Happy Mothers to Me!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I hope you were pampered and surprised.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Susan Sophia said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!
Love, Sophia

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!
What a beautiful post. I got teary eyed.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home