Thursday, May 04, 2006

What I'm reading these days

First I have to mention that, on-line, I've been reading about hummingbird bees, wasps, yellowjackets and how to kick strep naturally (I'm not winning in that department).
I just finished reading Inkspell http://www.kidsreads.com/reviews/0439554004.asp
I really enjoyed this sequel to Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I'm looking forward to the third in the series coming out. I'm in the process of reading Dragon Rider also by Funke http://www.scholastic.com/dragonrider/index_flash.htm I like reading this when I just want to veg out and think about nothing in paticular.
On the more meaty side I'm finishing Wounded by Love-the life and wisdom of Elder Porphyrios. http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/elderporphyrios_dispositions.aspx I have learned much about "love" and what it means to love God and others. Elder Porphyrios is such a simple and innocent being you can't help but smile much throughout this book. It reads easy and fast but serves up good beefy substance.
After reading The Arena http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/reading_arena.aspx I been on the hunt for The Herald which is mentioned in the book. I wanted commentary on the Holy Scriptures to understand them better. Matthew http://itislaterthanyouthink.blogspot.com/
suggested reading The explanation by Blessed Theophylact of The Holy Gospel According to St. Mark as well as the other volumes. I have found this to be so easy to understand and offers insight that I never would have been able to glean on my own. Following is an excerpt:

The Blessed Theophylact interprets the Lord's words in the ninth chapter of St. Mark's Gospel as follows:
Having warned those who cause offense that it will be worse for them than if they were cast into the sea (Mark 9:21–22), now the Lord exhorts those to whom offense is given to guard themselves against those who are always ready to offend and to tempt. Whether it be your foot, hand, or eye which causes you to fall, which means even if it is one of your closest friends or relatives, in close relationship with you by kinship or by necessity, who causes you to fall, cut him off, that is, reject that friendship or kinship. The worm and the fire which punish the sinners are each person's conscience and the memory of the shameful things done in this life, for they consume like the worm and burn like fire. "Everyone shall be salted with fire," that is, shall be tested. St. Paul also says that all things shall be tried by fire (1 Cor. 3:13). And every sacrifice, the Lord says, "shall be salted with salt" (Lev. 2:13). It is good for you to season your sacrifices with the salt of God, which means, do not make offerings that you have not carefully prepared to please God.
"Salt" is also what the Lord calls the Apostles, and in general, all those with the duty to preserve others from corruption. Just as salt preserves meat, and prevents worms from breeding within it, so do words.of teaching, if they are astringent, shrink the fleshliness of carnal men, and prevent the worm that never sleeps from breeding within them. But if the teacher is without salt, that is, if he has no astringent to preserve us from rot, with what shall we be salted, that is, seasoned? Have salt, therefore, in yourselves, that is, have the pleasing and preserving grace of the Holy Spirit, so that you may have peace with one another. For he who is bound to his neighbor by love has shrunk his carnal self, and it is he who "has salt," and he is at peace with his brother (The Explanation of the Holy Gospel According to St. Mark, pp. 80–81).

So there you have it, my current reading material. Looks like a little bit of steak and pizza all at once.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I've read "The Thief Lord" but neither of Funke's other books.

Looks like you are having fun reading!

11:14 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

You know, I did try that book and it lost my interest too fast. Tansy, however, really enjoyed it. I've seen previews now for the upcoming movie of it too.
One thing I've always been selfish about is giving myself time to read. Even after children I made it a priority to read if I wanted to and let them tend to themselves. So far we've created one avid reader from that tactic, hopefully her brothers will follow suit.

11:22 AM  
Blogger LJB said...

When I was doing the literature review for my masters thesis on gender differences in education, I came upon a quote from some Harvard expert back in the 1800's who said it was unwise to teach women to read because they might neglect their household duties when caught up in books. My response to him was: Yeah, so what's your point? OF COURSE I'd rather be reading than dusting/scrubbing/whatever.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

We are readers here too - and like you, I make time to read, as does my husband, so the kids know it's the norm. I do have one who isn't a big reader though, but he still reads.

He is the one who actually read "The Thief Lord" first for school, he didn't like it and asked me to read it.

It was ok, it dragged at the end.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Yeah, so what's your point? OF COURSE I'd rather be reading than dusting/scrubbing/whatever.


Bwahahahahahahahaha! Oh, so me too!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought "Wounded by Love: the Life and Works of Elder Porphyrios" when Susan and I were at the monastery. It is really wonderful. I lent it to Susan on Sunday.

1:41 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

I was actually bummed when I finished Wounded by Love. It was such a joyful read for me, I look forward to re-reading it when some time has gone by. I felt very encouraged by him. I have just started, for the first time, The Hobbit, if you can believe that. I'm liking it so far.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've never read The Hobbit? Enjoy! I first read it in third grade, Mrs Thompson's lunchtime reading group. I love it.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home